As large populations continue to move into cities, energy efficiency and emissions control becomes a critical factor for our health as individuals, communities and as a planet. Phoenix takes our environment seriously: by 2050, Phoenix plans to be carbon neutral with a 100 year water supply. The city is working on bold environmental goals to improve our community in the areas of transportation, waste, buildings and land use, water stewardship, parks, preserves and open spaces, clean air and local food systems. Many of these issues will require significant behavior changes that could be made easier or faster with technology.
Solutions for Energy and Sustainability should address but are not limited to the following:
- Help cut wasteful energy consumption
- Give Phoenix residents tools to recycle more
- Improve transparency and visualization of energy and water consumption
- Provide hints and tips on saving energy or water, or recycling more
- Facilitate automation and control of consumption of electronic home devices
- Encourage or incentivize residents to make more environmentally friendly choices